Thursday, December 5, 2013

Day 296, December 5

"You don't just luck into things as much as you'd like to think you do.  You build step by step, whether it's friendships or opportunities."--Barbara Bush

Barbara Bush was one of my favorite first ladies.  Her words remind me that important things happen when we build slowly and with care.  As I think of the best things in my life, I realize they didn't happen by accident or luck.  They came about because I cared enough to do the hard work necessary to make them happen.

The same holds true for the lives of others.  My friend Janet, who plays the flute, piano, and organ beautifully, didn't "luck" into her talent.  She built it a day at a time through practice and persistence.  My daughter Alanna didn't wake up one day to find that she could fashion beautiful hand-made cards.  She experimented with techniques, took classes, and, once again, practiced.

Then there is the Lord.  He builds us step by step, precept by precept, until we leave behind the natural tendencies and take upon us His yoke.

So, for today, I am grateful for building step by step.




1 comment: