Monday, December 16, 2013

Day 307, December 16

"It is a time to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow.  It is a time to be found keeping the commandments.  It is a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in distress and dto thsoe who are wandering in darkness and pain.  It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another in all of our relationships.  In other words, to become more Christlike."--President Gordon B. Hinckley

Just when I don't know what I can possibly write, something presents itself.  In this case, it was a bookmark that was given to me in Relief Society.  On it is a picture of the Savior followed by the beautiful words of the Prophet.  What could be more fitting with the season than President Hinckley's counsel to do what is right, to keep the commandments?

The last part of President Hinckley's words particuarly resonated with me--"to reach out with kindness and love."  Many years ago, my father gave me some instruction that has stayed with me to this day.  He said, "Jane, it's easy to like those who are likable, those who look nice and smell nice.  It's much harder to like those who don't look so nice or smell so nice."  My parents lived by this creed.  Their Thanksgiving and Christmas tables were filled with forgotten people.

So, for today, I am grateful for the words of a prophet and the reminder from my father.


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful quote from President Hinckley and from Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete